The Maryland Army National Guard has
Money for College for you! YOU CAN
receive a tuition waiver assistance, and reimbursement.
YOU CAN also be eligible
to receive a payment of as much as $497 a month while you are going to
school! YOU CAN
you can pay less for college in the Maryland Army National Guard.
State Tuition Waiver (STW)
ALL state-supported colleges / universities (Except UMUC) offer tuition waiver for members of the Guard
when taking credited, undergraduate or graduate
courses. Each institution has their own rules that
govern the number of seats available and the number
of credit hours eligible for tuition waiver. Classes
held at Maryland National Guard locations are
available to all Guard members with a 25% or 50%
tuition waiver, regardless of space available.
Professional courses are not eligible for STW. *Can
now be used for Trade Schools in partnership with
the Maryland Army National Guard.
Must be a member of the Maryland National Guard.
2. Must have a two-year obligation remaining from the course start date.
3. Must be a member in good standing.
* Note can be used with STAR, MGIB, FTA
State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement (STAR)
State Tuition Assistance provides
Maryland Guard Members up to 50% tuition and related fees at all
Partners in Education colleges and universities. The Guard member
receives tuition reimbursement directly from the State of Maryland.
1. Reimburses students 50% of the cost of
tuition and related fees at all Maryland State supported
Colleges/Universities, some private institutions and Trade Schools.
2. Available for undergraduate courses.
3. Benefit may be used with State Tuition Waiver, Montgomery GI
Bill, and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA).
4. Must be a member in good
5. Tuition is reimbursed for grade (s) “C” or above.
1. Must be a member of the Maryland National
2. Must be in pay grade E-1through O-4.
3. Must have a two-year obligation remaining from the course start
4. Must be a member in good standing.
* Note: Can be used with STW, MGIB and FTA.
Montgomery G.I. Bill (MGIB)
The Montgomery G.I. Bill is
administered by the Veterans Administration (VA) directly between the VA and
the student. The MDNG only provides proof to the VA, via NGB, that the
student is a member of the MDNG in good standing and within the proper time
frame of eligibility.
Must be a member in good standing of the Maryland National Guard and
continue to serve in your unit.
2. Must have a six-year obligation to serve in the selected reserve.
3. Must have completed Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT-Basic and AIT).
4. Complete high school diploma before completing IADT.
5. MGIB ceases after 14 years from Notification of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
or if you leave your unit.
6. Prior Service members with enlistment prior to 1 OCT 90 have unit
representative contact ESO.
Monthly benefits payable for a maximum of 36 months.
12 + Credit Hrs: Over $297/month
9-11 Credit Hrs: Over $222.75/month.
6-8 Credit Hrs: Over $1480/month.
< 6 Credit Hrs: Over $74.25/month.
2. Total Amount = $ 10,692.00
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
per credit, up to $4,500 per year for Undergraduate and Graduate Studies.
This program can be used in conjunction with STA, STW and MGIB with the
1.In order to receive ARNG FTA and the MGIB-SR simultaneously for the same
course I must be enrolled at least 1/2 time or more.
2.In order to receive ARNG FTA and the MGIB-AD simultaneously for the same
course(s) I cannot have signed a MGIB Kicker contract in the ARNG.
1.Must be a member of the Maryland National Guard.
2.Must be a member in good standing.
3. You cannot not ETS within the period you are receiving FTA.
Participating Colleges / Universities